Banana and Cream Cheese Cake
This is a delish cake which leaves you wanting more. You can add some cinnamon in the basic cake mix or in the frosting. Take the cake to another level by slicing through the center and adding another layer of the cream cheese frosting and some sliced bananas, walnuts or even some strawberries for a contrast. I'm still eating this after three days in the fridge and it tastes super fresh.
What you need for the cake:
150 g butter
1tbsp baking powder
3 RIPE bananas (250 g peeled weight)
150 g brown sugar
60g natural yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
For the icing and decor:
50 g butter
80 g icing sugar
100 g cream cheese
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
! firm banana, sliced
Any other fruits you prefer for decor
Chia seeds (optional)
Putting it all together:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Rub some butter around a cake tin and line the base with butter paper.
2. Melt the butter on low heat.
3. In a bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. In another bowl, peel and mash the bananas and whisk in the butter, eggs, sugar, yogurt and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
4. Add the flour mixture and whisk well till all combined.
5. Pour the batter in the cake tin. Bake for 40-50 mins until a knife comes out moist but relatively clean. 6. Leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before turning out onto a wire rack and cooling further.
For the icing, beat together the butter, sugar and cinnamon till creamy. Add the softened cream cheese and beat further.
Spread onto the cooled cake and decorate with bananas, walnuts, strawberries as you like. I added chia seeds for a difference.