Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
Schools have shut for the summer vacation here in India and the kids are at home all day! I have been coming up with productive ways to keep them entertained. They love watching me cook and sneak little bits of food from the kitchen counter into their mouths! This weekend, they helped me make a batch of banana and chocolate chip muffins. And yes, a few chocolate chips didn't make their way into the batter as they were carried off by tiny hands.
If you're looking for a fun activity with your kids, this is the perfect one. The recipe is super easy and kid-friendly. It takes hardly any time to put together and the kids will love mashing the banana and mixing the ingredients together. They also make a good evening snack.
These muffins are soft, moist and full of flavour! The bananas add a lot of flavour so make sure to use ripe ones (they should have some black spots). You can replace the chocolate chips with nuts instead. Walnuts or almonds would go really well.
Some more easy muffin recipes:
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
What you need:
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
3 large ripe bananas (about 1 and 1/2 cups mashed)
6 tbsp butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature (substitute with 1 flax egg)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Putting it all together:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and brush your muffin tin with butter.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mash the bananas till they're completely mushy. Then, in the same bowl, beat the melted butter, brown sugar, egg (or flax egg), vanilla extract and milk for a minute until combined.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl and beat until combined.
5. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. The batter will be thick.
6. Use a spoon to put the batter into the muffin tin. Fill the tins till 3/4th of the height.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool them for 5 minutes in the tin before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.