Roast Pumpkin and Barley Salad
Roast a large batch of pumpkin and use the leftovers in these recipes:
What you need:
1 cup raw barley
2 cups pumpkin, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups green beans, cut as you like
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped
½ cup fresh mint leaves, washed
For the dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lime juice
Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
1. Preheat the oven to 220 C. In a baking dish, toss the pumpkin cubes with 2 tbsp olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Bake in the oven on a lower rack for about ½ hour or till tender. Toss in between to prevent burning on one side.
2. In the meantime, boil the barley for about 20-25 mins till cooked al dente. Over cooking will make it gluggy. Drain and put aside to cool
3. Steam or boil the green beans till tender with a bite. Be careful not to lose its bright green colour. Drain and put aside to cool.
4. To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Adjust the lime juice and extra virgin olive oil to taste.
5. To assemble the salad, mix the cooked pumpkin, beans and barley in a large bowl. Add the cranberries, almonds and fresh mint, toss all together with the dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste.