Pumpkin Pita Pockets
A staple week night dinner in my home that brings the rainbow together on our plates. These pockets make a wholesome healthy plant based meal which covers all the food groups to have a balanced meal. For the health aficionados, the pita bread or tortillas can be substituted by whole wheat pita bread or homemade flat breads. The pumpkin can be interchanged with sweet potato, cauliflower or any vegetable of your choice
What you need:
2 cups pumpkin cubes
BEETROOT HUMMUS (See recipe)
For the salad:
1 cup Lettuce, shredded
1 cup Red cabbage, shredded
½ cup pomegranate, arils
1 broccoli head steamed
Pita bread or Tortillas, ready
Seeds and nuts of your choice
For the salad dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp orange juice
Juice of one lime
Salt & pepper
Putting it all together:
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a baking dish, drizzle oil over the pumpkin and season with salt and pepper and add 3 – 4 sprigs of fresh thyme for half an hour or till soft.
3. Prepare the BEETROOT HUMMUS as per the recipe
4. For the salad - combine lettuce, red cabbage, pomegranate, broccoli, seeds of your choice.
5. Make the dressing in another small bowl by mixing all the ingredients together.
6. Drizzle the salad dressing into the veggie mix and adjust to taste.
7. If the pita bread is not hollow inside, cut slits very gently to make pockets. Brown in the oven for a few minutes.
8. Assembly – line the inside of the pita pocket with a 1 – 2 tbsp of beetroot hummus, tuck in a few cubes of pumpkin, some salad and some more beetroot hummus.