Bean Tortilla Lasagna
What you need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 a red pepper, sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small green or red chili, de-seeded
½ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp sweet paprika (optional)
1 cup black beans (rajma), boiled
1 pack tomato puree
Pico de Gallo:
1 onion, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (coriander)
2 jalapenos, de-seeded and finely diced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Putting it all together:
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil. Cook the onions, bell peppers and garlic. Add the chili, cumin, paprika and cook for another 2 mins. Add a splash of water if it starts burning.
2. Mix in the beans and 1 pack tomato puree with a splash of water. Season well with salt, pepper, and oregano. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer till it all comes together.
3. To make the pico de gallo, combine all the ingredients. Season well with salt and lime. The flavour should be strong so add more if needed.
To assemble the lasagna
1. Preheat your oven to 180C
2. In a baking dish, spread some bean sauce at the bottom.
3. Cut the tortilla in half and shape as per your dish.
4. Top with some bean sauce and then grated cheese on top.
5. Scatter some pico de gallo (salsa). You could also add some olive slices.
6. Repeat with another layer of tortilla, sauce, cheese, and salsa
7. Finish with a third tortilla, bean sauce, and cheese.
8. Bake covered for 15 mins and then uncovered for 5-10 mins till brown and the tortilla sides are crispy.
9. Garnish with jalapeno slices.