Quiche with Spinach and Feta
Once you master the basic technique of making quiche, you can play around with the filling, making it as exotic as you like. Follow this recipe for the pastry crust and the cream filling, then add in your choice of ingredients. You can also do mini versions in small tart moulds. A great dish for a tea party, brunch buffet, kids lunch box or a simple weekday dinner with a side salad. Replace the feta with parmesan or cheddar cheese if you have to.
What you need:
For the crust:
280 gms flour, plus some for dusting
140 gms cold butter, cut into pieces
For the filling:
1 cup gms cherry tomatoes
280 ml double cream
Drizzle of olive oil
1.5 cups spinach, chopped
½ cup feta cheese, cubes or crumbled
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Putting it all together:
1. The crust can be made by hand or a food processor. To make by hand, rub in the flour and cold butter together to resemble crumbs. Add 8 tbsp cold water and bring together to make a ball of dough. It is important to use cold butter and water. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
2. To make the dough in a food processor, simply blend the above ingredients together till it comes together in a ball of dough. Wrap and refrigerate.
3. Preheat your oven to 180 C.
4. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to make a circle about 5cm larger than your pie tin. Carefully use your rolling pin to lift it up and press into the pie tin neatly. Roll the crust over the edges of the tin and trim. In case of cracks, simply mend them by pinching the pastry together or press in and merge a small piece from the corner.
5. Prick some holes in the base with a fork. Cover with a circle of butter paper. Add some dry beans like kidney beans or chickpeas on top and bake blind for 20 mins. This prevents the pastry from rising. Remove the paper and beans and bake further for 10 mins until golden brown.
6. In the meantime, in a small baking dish, drizzle the tomatoes with some olive oil and season. Bake in the lower part of your oven for 20 mins
7. To make the filling, beat the eggs in a bowl. Gradually add in the cream while beating. Season lightly.
8. Once the pastry crust is ready, dot the bottom with some feta cheese cubes, tomatoes and spinach leaves. Pour in the cream mix. Top with some more feta and spinach. Bake for 20-25 mins until set and golden brown on top.
9. Allow it to cool outside and then remove from the tin and serve in slices with a side salad. Bon appétit!